Fall & Winter Lawn & Garden Tips
Tips to help prepare your lawn now for best results next Spring
Proper lawn care and maintenance in the Fall will yield maximum results come the following Spring growing season.
Here's a few steps that you can take now to improve your lawn for next Spring:
With these steps, your lawn will have a head start for healthy growth in the Spring!
- Clear your lawn of leaves and branches. If this debris is left under a snowpack through the winter, it can damage the grass and suffocate the lawn, impeding growth in the spring thaw.
- Aerate the soil if it is compacted or if thatch (accumulation of dead plant material) is a problem. Ideally, this is done before the first freeze.
- Apply Liquid "Gypsum" to improve soil conditions (easier movement of roots, nutrients, air, and water) and further loosen up clay or compacted soil. Make sure to water in thoroughly after the application.
- Fertilize to provide nutrients for healthy turf growth. Well nourished roots will continue to grow when soil temperatures get above 35 degrees.
- Before the first snow, cut your lawn to a height of no more than 1.5 to 2 inches.
Do you use de-icing salts on your driveway or sidewalk to help clear these pathways of ice during the winter?
De-icing salts damage plants and turf in several ways - through direct contact of salt solutions with plant foliage, and through the chemical and physical changes to the soil.
By applying Liquid "Gypsum" now (before the first freeze) to the surrounding turf and planting areas can help minimize the damage caused by these de-icing salts.
Liquid "Gypsum" opens up the soil, allowing for better drainage and improved "leaching" of the salts from the soil.
Some additional tips when using de-icing salts:
- Wash excess salts from the plants and turf as soon as possible - at any time during the winter when there is a thawing period.
- Avoid snow piles, especially around plants and trees.
- As soon as the ground is no longer frozen in the Spring, apply fresh water to help leach the salts from the soil (applying Liquid "Gypsum" in the Fall helps promote this leaching process).
"This Spring our calcium levels were low in our garden, and instead of lugging in several hundred lbs of gypsum, I amended our garden with Soil Logic Liquid Gypsum, not only was I able to confirm that the calcium levels were still great in our competition plants in early August with a tissue test, we had our best season to date, weighing in a 1401.5 lb Pumpkin!
We won't grow again without Soil Logic Liquid Gypsum!"
Read Our Testimonials
"I have clay soil conditions. Grass on front lawn used to be thin. Used Liquid "Gypsum" a few weeks ago on the front lawn and the lawn is much healthier and thicker."
- Jon P. of Denver, CO
"Liquid "Gypsum" improved the drainage in my garden. Helped to save my citrus trees. Allows me to plant more varieties of trees in my garden. Your Liquid "Gypsum" works great out here in 'adobeland'."
- Becky D. of Pleasanton, CA
"Your products work so well, I bought the quart size first to try and then re-ordered gallons."
- Ross E. of Portland, OR
"Soil Logic Liquid "Gypsum" definitely works. It is so much easier to use than the dry gypsum. It has dramatically improved the drainage in my yard."
- Steve H. of San Diego, CA
Have A Success Story?
If you have a success story you would like share with us, please email us at email@example.com.